Shark Cage Diving near Shark Alley in Gansbaai, South Africa
- Author: Jeanette du Toit
- Thursday, 13 August 2015
- Top Activities - Hermanus
Fun Facts About Great White Sharks
- Some great whites have been tracked swimming all the way from South Africa to Australia.
- They may be big, but they can reach speeds of 40 miles per hour while swimming.
- The shark is considered vulnerable on the endangered list and is protected in some areas.
- Great whites do not do well in captivity. A few have lived beyond 6 months before being released back into the ocean.
- They have a lifespan of around 25 years.
- Shark skin is very rough and can be used as sandpaper.
- They can roll their eyes back into their head to protect them
Related CategoryTop Activities - Hermanus
Diving With Sharks - For an awe-inspiring thrill, experience great white shark cage diving in Kleinbaai, Gansbaai and around Dyer Island / Shark Alley.
Dyer Island is the place where the extreme shark adventures happen. Sharks like this place due to its high population of seals.
You can experience a scenic boat trip, watch the sharks from the boat and even meet them face to face in their own territory.
Shark Cage Diving Trip
Duration: Between 3 and 4 hours, Up to 20min in the cage
The trip normally begins at 10h00 in the morning from Kleinbaai harbour, which is 2 km along the coast from the village of Gansbaai, but may vary due to the tides and expected sea conditions.
- A full continental breakfast is available before the trip. A variety of breadrolls, cooldrinks, fruit, chips and snacks are available on the boat. It’s all self-help.
- All diving gear is provided including fresh clean towels.
- Substantial shark info will be handed to each participant on completion of the trip
Bring Warm clothing including a change of underwear, swim suit, a cap, sun block, and camera are essential items for the trip.
Wear Comfortable beach or swimwear.
No previous diving experience is necessary. Cage diving does not require scuba certification. Minimal experience is needed to go down in the cage. It is only breath holding and not snorkeling.
Location Gansbaai, Kleinbaai