Historical Buildings

hermanus history header

This gorgeous seaside town has a proud history dating back to the early 1800s when a man by the name of Hermanus Pieters followed a path etched into the ground by a herd of elephants. Hermanus Pieters was a traveling teacher and Sheppard who growing tired of his locality, made the decision to pack up and try somewhere new. He wandered south of Caledon along the elephant trail and ended up next to the sea where he discovered a fresh spring. Hermanus Pieters decided to set up camps here because of this spring and the fine grazing the land provided for his livestock. This beautiful setting became known as Hermanuspietersfontein (directly translated as Hermanus Pieters Fountain).

Genadendal - A small village with a mission in South Africa

Genadendal - A small village with a mission in South Africa

Genadendal translated to English and known as Valley of Grace and was established in 1738 by George Schmidt, a German Missionary, sent by the United Brethren (Moravian Church) to preach the gospel to the Khoi.

The Grand Old Lady, also known as the Marine Hotel in Hermanus

The Grand Old Lady, also known as the Marine Hotel in Hermanus

During the 1920s the Marine with its ballroom became extremely popular and many wealthy and famous people stayed there for  holidays.

Old Harbour Museum, Hermanus

Old Harbour Museum, Hermanus

The Old Harbour Open-Air Museum is a provincial heritage site. It is unique in that apparently it is one of only two fishing harbours in the world that has been conserved in tact.

The Windsor Hotel was built in 1896 as The Sanatorium

The Windsor Hotel was built in 1896 as The Sanatorium

The Windsor Hotel in Hermanus was built as the Sanatorium in 1896 has a long and proud history of 118 years. 

Old harbour, Hermanus by Tony de Freitas

Old harbour, Hermanus by Tony de Freitas

As long ago as 1855 the old Harbour provided a rocky but safe shelter for the small fishing boats whose owners were drawn to Hermanus by the abundance and variety of fish.

Hermanus station - 75 years of road transport

Hermanus station - 75 years of road transport

1912-1987 - In commemoration of the introduction of the road transportation service be­ tween Botriver and Her­manus on 23 December 1912.

St. Peter's Church

In 1868 a small building, a "palehuis", like many of the original houses, was built, to be both English church and school and it was called after the patron saint of fishermen,  St. Peter

Elim Mission Station

Elim Mission Station

Elim was founded by German missionaries in 1824 and is inhabited only by Moravian church members.

Wendy's Hut

Wendy's Hut

Wendy's cottage is named after a lone female whale that used to visit the town in the late 1930's.  This whale, who was fondly known as Wendy, was considered one of the family by the village folk, as she used to return year after year.

The Remarkable Miss Ella Gordon

The Remarkable Miss Ella Gordon

The two horses pulling the farm wagon on which her coffin lay stepped out in time to the music of the Genadendal Brass Band, as she had taught them.  by Annalize Mouton

 

Cypress Tea Garden to the Burgundy Restaurant

Cypress Tea Garden to the Burgundy Restaurant

John Louis built the first cottage in 1876 (on what is now Harbour Road) and then a second at right angles to it, facing the sea...

Dangerpoint Lighthouse built was in 1895

Dangerpoint Lighthouse built was in 1895

After more than 20 ships had been wrecked off this treacherous stretch of Cape coastline, Danger Point Lighthouse was built in 1895 in order to alert shipping to the presence of Danger Point reef.

Call us and schedule your listing today! Contact Us

Stay Up To Date

Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter. Hermanus Online Magazine on what to do, where to stay and an awesome blog

Office Locations

Hermanus Office

25 Mitchell Street, Checkers Building, Hermanus, South Africa
Phone: +27 (0) 28 312 3846
Email: support@hermanusonline.mobi

Online Marketing Team

Checkers Building
Phone: +27 (0) 28 312 3846
Email: marketingteam@hermanusonline.mobi